Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Divine Divas

The last few posts of mine have been a little on the heavy side. It’s not my intention for this blog to be sad all the time but it is about dancing in the rain and the world of cancer is a giant rain storm. Today though I want to share one of the rainbows that come with cancer. Friendship. Earlier this week I had the opportunity to meet two fabulous and very strong Christian women who happened to both be survivors of breast cancer. Neither was from here and we never would have known each other had it not been for a common friend. Our lives were each woven in friendship with her over many years and perhaps that very purpose was to bring us all together.

As we sat around the table sharing our intros and breast cancer stories we also shared a lot of laughter and tears. These women were a hoot! It was so encouraging to be sitting with a 9 year survivor and a 15 year survivor. I started to write this blog Monday after we met but I had not yet found the words to describe just what a blessing these women were to me even though we had just met. Today I still haven't found the words but it’s all I have thought about. You see the 15 year survivor was recently diagnosed with a recurrence. It’s every survivor’s worst nightmare. She is a strong and amazing woman though and she has risen above the cancer and taken it head on. It’s hard to believe she is even old enough to be a 15 year survivor. Tomorrow morning she is scheduled to have a bilateral mastectomy. Much of my day has been spent in prayer and I know that there have been a multitude of other people lifting her up in prayer as well. Tomorrow I will again be praying as will many others and I ask that if you read this you pray for my new friend as well as her family.

Its women like Tammy and Letha that make me feel so honored to be a part of this exclusive club. I'm forever grateful to my friend Lydia for bringing us together. While I hope she never becomes a member of the "pink sisterhood" I'm happy to have her as one of the Divine Divas in my life. I can't wait to spend more time with my new friends. Perhaps there will be a road trip for Lydia and I in the near future. If that’s the case than you know an adventure is just around the corner.
9 Two people are better than one,
       because they get more done by working together.
 10 If one falls down,
       the other can help her up.
    But it is bad for the person who is alone and falls,
       because no one is there to help.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 NCV

No comments:

Post a Comment